Site Info

A compilation of thought provoking Short stories that take inspiration from Mumbai. Get up close & personal with the city of Joy!
 
Saturday, May 14, 2011

Bombay/Mumbai: A birdseye view!


I rose above the horizons spreading my wings like a tree spreads its branches and Mumbai woke up as usual with a tinge of chill passing through those fortunately empty roads.



I wonder that’s the reason, I’ve been given these feathers by almighty but it’s a little disappointing. Like a normal human being I can’t enjoy those tiny feelings, feeling of cold, and feeling of heat. But I can feel rain. Here, the rain doesn’t fall sparingly; it falls with an intense force. All we do is find ourselves a shelter and in doing so I come to this place. Sitting extravagantly on the rooftop of some slum with my kinds loitering around this slum, I enjoyed rice thrown above by an elderly woman. And as soon as I had completed my breakfast at the rooftop, I flew eastwards. And just a few minutes of flight and I end up in those huge apartments and sit prudently on those black grills and through the transparent sliding windows, I see humans flexing their muscles and enjoying the beaming aura of the sun.




The pressure cooker shouts grievously and the beautiful woman opens the window letting the thin air enter their exclusive abode and sitting there I brace up myself for a rather lavish breakfast. She puts a nice steel plate of rice in front of me and closes the window in fear of me entering inside her private abode and creating chaos, but I pay no heed. I’m too excited in receiving a gorgeous looking steel plate with blue outlines. I hastily start pecking those grains but to my astonishment I find it similar to the ones I just ate above the abrasive rooftop of that slum. I still wonder why I had an anxiety to devour the later offering completely. Was it the Black grill-comfortable sitting? Was it the gorgeous looking steel plate with blue outlines? That led me to think, if there is no difference in the rice then why there is a difference between the two women? Why the later one lives in a luxurious apartment and the former in a rather shrunken and economical place? Why the elder woman has no fear of me entering inside her tiny room, and the younger more beautiful one fears of me entering in her abode?




I am a silly little animal with hardly little sense other than the once necessary for survival, navigation and protection and I simply do not need to find answers to these questions. But, I just wonder how unsettling the answers to these questions would be for these people and what consequences they may be suffering!




I finish my breakfast and again fly in my free spirit putting a watch over this soulless city, where people just seem so lost in their own. I was fortunate to find two kind women today otherwise these people are so busy. They don’t have time for a tiny little creature like me. Watching the sun rise up to its best possible limits, I again fling myself and fly westwards.  

16 comments:

Unknown said...

well written bro.. mebbe its becoz of karma.. u do good things n good things happen to you..

charmi said...

very nicely written...i just loved it...

Uday said...

Love it niks!!! Awesome work!!

NamzzzP said...

very thoughtful..
i think that humans are complex individuals who cant keep things simple.hence the differences in them.
the concept of making your point, with the perspective of a bird is great thinking :)

Unknown said...

nyc 1 would llyk to read sme mre........

Unknown said...

very nice....

Shruts said...

hii nik..
good story..very creative..
i like the beginning.. bt i dunno kno somthing is missing in the story... still keep up the good wrk :)

jzz said...

mp**me mein kya kar rah hai...writer ban jaa

Nikhar said...

Hey People, thanks for the comments!
I wanted to ask you all regarding the length of the Posts.. should the length be slightly more than this would you guys be alright with it?

onkar said...

Nice work niks!!

Writer said...

Nice one dude! Change the theme though. The this narrow one makes for a tiresome read, scroll, scroll and scroll. Take a theme that has more width. Don't worry about the length/number of words, just express yourself! BTW you can check out deviantArt.com, we got a thriving Lit community there!

Nikhar said...

thanks dude! yeah I seriously need to change the theme. Sure would like to join the club!

vini said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
vini said...

Did you change the font type? This one is too bright.

Aalap Oza said...

Creative...Amazing...Refreshing.....like you...

karl - recidivist said...

Nikhar Oza.... very very well written... its nice to be able to actually picturize (incorrect spelling) what u've written while reading it...not many can write like that.. hats of to u!!
Keep it up !!

Post a Comment

Updates Via E-Mail